Friday, August 21, 2009

Just a piece of paper

It's an important piece of paper. It will get our new kids on the family insurance. It will get them social security numbers and passports. This important piece of paper makes David & me responsible for them. But the adoption decree is just a piece of paper. It does not make us a family. Our new daughter announced two days before leaving her country of birth that she would not leave. She changed her mind. She did not want to have brothers that teased her, constantly talked about cars, and made disgusting body noises. Brothers were disrupting her life and she was done. Several of our friends, who are now young women, have assured me that they now realize that growing up in a house full of boys was vital in who they have become as women. It challenged them and they grew from it. When our communication is better I will tell our daughter of how important my brother is in my life. I will tell her that, with David and the kids by my side, when we arrived home at the airport it was seeing my brother that meant the most. It was his welcoming arms that I clung to. Yes we spent many days as kids fighting with each other, being annoyed with each other and we don't agree on many things now. But, he is my brother and I cherish him. Some day our daughter too will cherish that special relationship with her new brothers. Some day that piece of paper will be a treasure to her in many ways.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have lot to do hope Britny like her new home it must be scarey to go to a place where you don't have frends or some one to talke to yet. They boy sounds like they are doing good. if we can help let us know if you come to mich we have a place for you to camp for free. Morgan would send britny some pic or letters if she would like

Duncan Clan said...

It is good to hear from you and Morgan. We still have Morgan's picture. Brittany named the dog Jack. Jack was too big to return to Russia with her so he has been at our house. When we first saw Brittany just before court she asked about Jack and she quickly found him when she got to her new home in Oklahoma. Thank you again for the great gift.

Deena Licht said...

I am the oldest with three younger brothers. I can relater. There were times in my teenage life that I would have chosen to live in Russia to not have little brothers. BUT little brothers bring sister in laws and nephews and nieces and they eventually grow up and act semi normal! (although the strange noises never end.....)