Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Attitude

About 6 years ago I began praying a particular scripture. I even called it my life scripture because it impacted me so much. It became a constant reminder of who I am in Christ, who God is, and what my role with God is to be. As I prayed this scripture almost constantly I began to change. (I wish I was like several of my dear friends who can look up in their journals and tell their exact thoughts and what God did at any moment in their life. That is not me. I have to rely on 'abouts' and generalities.) Many times this scripture has come up in personal Bible study, at retreats, and in sermons. So often it has been what God used to 'carry' me through hard periods, to push me through selfish times and to draw me closer to Him and His desires.

This morning I was again reminded of Philippians 2:5-8. "Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. " (NASB, bolding is mine)

My prayer once again: Lord, Jesus Christ, I desire to have your attitude. Empty me. Humble me. Make me obedient to the desires of God. I lay aside my perceived privileges to have your attitude, the attitude of Christ. Amen.

3 comments:

Justine said...

The Word has the POWER to change us! God led me to adopt several months after I completed a word study on the word "widow" in the Bible. What single word is most linked with the word "widow"? ORPHAN, of course! Hmmm... doesn't seem like a coincidence to me.

Thanks for sharing this, Julie!

:)
Justine

Anonymous said...

Amen and amen!!!
Blessings,
Marie

J. said...

That's a great reminder of how we need to live our lives. Thanks for sharing it because sadly, we forget quickly!