Tuesday, July 21, 2009

From Russia with Love

So much has happened over the last several months...but here we are; in Russia. We arrived in Moscow on Sunday morning, delivered our final payments, got settled into the place we are living in Moscow, got our medical exams, and we will be leaving tonight by train to go meet our children.

We are both excited, but a little nervous. It will be good to see K and D, and to finally meet V for the first time. We heard that V is apprehensive about his move. We ask that God will give us the wisdom and action to show him that we love him and that he is part of the Duncan clan.

We got to tour Moscow the second day we were here. As we saw the beautiful buildings, the thing that really startled me was at the entrance of the Kremlin. There is a McDonalds! It was interesting to be casually standing amongst tourists from all over the world in the plaza where this country used to hold their biggest parades to show the world their power. It is a beautiful city and we have enjoyed the peole so much. We look forward to sharing with the children when we return to Moscow. David & Julie

5 comments:

Kasey said...

Woohoo! I am so excited for you guys. From a nudge by God to where you are today has been a very exciting and encouraging adventure. Thank you for demonstrating true obedience. We are praying for you!

Connie said...

I am SO thrilled to read/hear this!!! And, I am praying for you, esp. regarding any apprehension on the part of the children--we had that too with our oldest.

BTW, this time 7 years ago we were RETURNING home from our first trip to Russia--when we met our girls and commited to adopting them!

Blessings!!!

Unknown said...

YAY! I am so excited for you guys. We will continue to pray for your whole family.

Bette said...

Julie and David, this is sooo cool! I did not know you were attempting this! I have worked in Russia at orphanages and at summer camps for orphans. They are beautiful wonderful kids!!! I worked mostly with the older kids...like 14 and up...What orphanage are your kids coming from? Where are you staying in Moscow? I have stayed at the hotel right across the street from the Kremlin and at another one way across town...Can't remember the names. I have also stayed in Vladimir and Yuriv Polski....both a ways away from Moscow...I was struck by that McDonalds too...The underground mall is cool, but expensive, even for us! How old are the kids you are adopting and what genders...you probably have all this info on here, I just haven't read it yet...Will be praying for a smooth adoption process and smooth transition to the U.S. - Bette

Catherine Shawki (St. Louis, MO) said...

How wonderful! I am so happy for you!!!
Just to let you know, we had a WONDERFUL visit with A whom you hosted in January. We love him SO MUCH and we miss him terribly. We are working day and night to adopt him so now there is another Russian orphan who has a forever family! I am so, so grateful to you that you hosted him and believed in him - you gave me the confidence that I needed to know that this is a wonderful, wonderful child of God.
If you could send me your email address sometime I would love to keep in touch with you!
If you read this while you are in Russia and see our beloved boy, please let him know that his family in America loves him with all their hearts and is working for him with all their strength!

THANK YOU, DUNCAN FAMILY!!!!
love from Peter and Catherine Shawki